Pages

Monday, August 24, 2015

A Little Less Trish

Full disclosure: I weigh 207 lbs. And I'm not even 5' 2" tall.  That, my friends, is a lot of weight to pack on a tiny frame.  I was not made to be this heavy and I am finally ready to do something about it.

Flash back to a few years ago: I tried to start/maintain a biggest loser-style group with some friends.  I found the leadership role to be counter productive to my own weight loss and when people would skip meetings or group activities, I took it personally.  When the whole thing crashed and burned, it was really discouraging.  I'm not leadership material at all, which is why it turned into a personal failure rather than a simple learning experience.  Thanks to Timehop, a post reminded me of this group in happier times.  A time when we were all pumped up and excited for our first group hike.  A time when each of our struggles, however individual they may have been, were similar enough to allow for solidarity and teamwork.  Remembering that part of the Cheap Ass Biggest Losers made me feel nostalgic.  Not only that, but I've been ramping myself up to start getting healthy and losing weight again b/c I've hit that point where I'm just not okay anymore.

When I posted the aforementioned Timehop memory on facebook, my yenta Chrissie made a comment about resurrecting it.  When her comment notification popped up, I didn't waste a second thinking it over.  I was ready!  I expressed my feelings about being the leader and thankfully she was all for taking the reigns on this one and seeing where it will go.  And thus the Work In Progress facebook group was born.

Almost exactly 5 years ago, I took my health seriously and put in the effort to make changes to lose weight and generally feel better about myself.  My 30th birthday was looming over my head and it seemed the perfect time to do something drastic and necessary.  Through working out and calorie counting, I lost 30 lbs in roughly 2 and a half or 3 months.  Over time my motivation hit peaks and valleys and I eventually gave up completely.  When I got pregnant with Presley, I was about 155 lbs.  When she was born, I was 217 lbs. After she was born I lost 30 lbs in barely under 2 weeks, but it all slowly crept back on.  A year and a half later, I'm only 10 lbs lighter than I was the day I gave birth to her, and 70 lbs heavier than I was before I had any kids at all.

It took some time, but I feel that stubborn will and determination sweeping over me the way it did 5 years ago.  I won't see any results by my 35th birthday, but it seems almost serendipitous that this would all come about around another semi-momentous age.

My big picture/overall goal: lose 67 lbs, putting me at 140.  In my opinion, that is my ideal weight. Any smaller, I look sickly.  Any bigger, I feel sickly.

The first order of business for the Work In Progress group was to come up with a single goal to work toward over the next month.  Mine is to be active at least 30 minutes per day, 5 days per week.  That may seem inadequate, but I wanted to start small.  I don't want to burn out and give up, I want to succeed.  Whenever the mood strikes, I'll be active longer or more often, but this seemed like a good jumping off point.

In case you're not cool enough (or too cool) to be my friend on facebook, I'll be logging progress and random update pics on my instagram with #alittlelesstrish and I'm sure I'll be posting in this blog from time-to-time, as well.  I'm going to try not to overtake my blog with fitness crap b/c I know how annoying that can be to read.  However, talking about it keeps me motivated so I'm not going to lie and say I won't mention it now and then.

All that being said, wish me luck!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com | Header Image by Freepik