Pages

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Easter in the ghetto

I am participating in the Blogging From A-Z Challenge. Each day in April (except the last 4 Sundays), I will post topic themes that begin with the letters of the alphabet, from A-Z. Today's letter is E.


*~*~*~*

Today is Thursday. Easter is on Sunday.  If you look at the calendar, you will see that is 3 days away.  (I know, I know: Captain Obvious strikes again! Just bear w/ me, I have a point.)  

For the first time ever, we are not having Easter at my Mom-in-law's house.  This year I'm playing hostess.  Since this information was given to me on Wednesday afternoon, you can see why I pointed out the time frame.  I HAVE THREE FREAKIN' DAYS TO PLAN/SHOP/PREPARE EASTER DINNER!!  

Working in my favor are a series of things.  1) We never do anything fancy, so no one's expecting me to pull Easter bunnies out of my butt or anything.  2) I don't think I'm a good cook, but the in laws have eaten my food before & no one has died or complained, so there's no pressure to pull Rachel Ray out of my butt, either.  3) My house is already clean so there's no pressure to pull Mr. Clean out of my butt.

Having established the safety of my butt & all the things I will NOT have to pull out of it, I'm getting excited!  I'm going to splurge on a dollar tree table cloth b/c that's just how I roll, but otherwise I just have the meal planning to do, which is easy-peasy.

Here's my thought:  

Sides/Apps - Mashed taters/gravy, brussel sprouts, these little darling cooked carrots, rolls, and these adorable deviled eggs.

That should be just the right combination of typical Easter fare & fancy-schmancy to secure my role as Easter hostess for years to come.  I'm leaving dessert up to my Mom-in-law, but I will be purchasing something small & dairy-free for myself.  I'll also be setting aside some taters for myself so I can mash them w/ a non-dairy alternative to the usual milk & butter that I use for everyone else.  Oh yeah, that's right, I TOTALLY just planned Easter dinner in 1 day while still considering my dietary needs.  

Martha Stewart, eat your heart out.

24 comments:

  1. don't eny you. Our family is so small, just us and my mother who is 93 and I'm too stressed to cook anyway, so we just go out to dinner. Deal done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily we're a small crowd, too. There's just going to be 7 of us...8 if I decide to invite my Mom. Eating out is a much less stressful alternative. :)

      Delete
  2. I'm happy for your butt. ;OD

    Oh, and great job with the super-fast planning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once again Pinterest made my life easier! I forgot more health-conscious folks use chicken broth instead of milk for mashed taters. So everyone is getting the dairy-free version!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job planning! I just started using Pinterest this week. I feel like I have just walked out of the dark ages...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, Fellow Challenger. I'm #424 from Rockin' Chair Reflections. Come visit when you can. Now, that my daughter has the bigger house, I get the joy of just bringing my share of the dinner! Oh, yes, love when the little darlings have homes of their own. Pinterest is a fantastic resource. You'll do fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! My Mom-in-law told us all last Thanksgiving that she was done being the holiday hostess of the family, but she's said that before so it was a bit of a surprise when she passed the torch. She deserves a break & I'm happy to do it. :)

      Delete
  6. Sounds good - glad you don't have to do any butt-pulling!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds good for everyone. Enjoy!♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds delicious. Yumm. Great post and happy A-Z blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Would have been awfully crowded in there, glad your butt's off the line.

    Good planning! Hope everything goes smooth like butta - er, nondairy alternative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a little junk in my trunk, but it still would have been very crowded. *lol* Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  10. I love the number of things you don't have to pull out of your butt.

    Thanks for sharing! I look forward to more A to Z goodness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always happy not to have to pull anything out of my butt. Most societies frown on that sort of thing. :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  11. Hehehehe well done! I hope everything goes to plan. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope it all goes well, too. (Though everything looks better in my head than it does in real life, so I'm trying to stay positively realistic. *lol*)

      Delete
  12. I know your butt must be quite relieved things have worked out so well. :-) This year we're doing Easter at my brother's house, but since (to my mother's despair) none of siblings are married yet, it will be a small crowd. Best of luck with your meal!

    Wishing you continued success with the A to Z challenge,
    Jocelyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My butt is very thankful for the reprieve. *lol* Thanks for stopping by!!

      Delete
  13. Just another A to Z Challenger here...

    I love the looks of both those eggs and carrots. You'll have to take pictures of your table before anyone ruins it with their appetite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You better believe it!! I already warned the hubs that I wanted pictures before anyone can eat! *lol*

      Delete

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com | Header Image by Freepik