Pages

Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Dance, dance #AtoZChallenge

I'm participating in the Blogging from A-Z Challenge again this year. Today's post is brought to you by the letter D.

~*~*~*~*~

Trinity and I were approached last year to participate in the Southern Oregon Pride Parade.  We actually got to carry the banner that led the parade, which I felt was a pretty big honor. (Minus the fact that Presley chose that time to completely melt down and every photo was of me trying to wrangle a crying toddler while carrying a huge banner.) Trinity was excited to be in the midst of a large group of people who not only supported individuality, but equality.  It was a beautiful thing to witness as her Mom.  There was a spark in her that I haven't seen in way too long.

Flash forward a few months, we were approached to help with the planning of a local all-ages alternative prom taking place in late May.  The organization putting on the prom is called the Lotus Rising Project and they work hard to make our valley safe and welcoming for everyone, particularly the LGBTQ community.  It's about mutual respect, compassion, and overall, basic humanity.  And the all-ages prom is a fun way to bring folks together and build on that unity.  

I never went to my own high school prom and I've only been known to really dance when I've had a few drinks in me.  So instead of gettin' down and boogying to some funky music, I'll be doing what I can behind the scenes to keep things running smoothly.  I'm definitely more of a worker bee than a great planner, so this is a perfect role for me.  Trinity, on the other hand, jumped head-first into the planning committee.  At her age, ideas flow freely without the constraints of budgets and general do-ability that us more seasoned adults are bound by everyday.  Still, I think this is a great experience for her and am proud that she's willing to help.

The first big fundraiser for this event is a pancake breakfast.  Trinity wasted no time volunteering as a server, and I've already hit up a few friends to try to sell tickets.  I feel like our part in all of this is minimal, but it still feels good to pitch in and do something. I just wish I had the time and energy to do more because it's something I feel strongly about and also I just love volunteering.   

With less than 2 months until the event, I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of role Trinity steps into as she gets more comfortable and has a better understanding of what is needed.  I feel like this is a great way for her to blossom somewhat and peek her head out of her shell in a way she hasn't done since puberty hit.  In that respect, I feel like this opportunity will help her more than she will be helping with the dance.  Or maybe it will be more even, with her putting in as much as she gets out of it.  Either way, it's awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com | Header Image by Freepik