Pages

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Chocolate & Cheese Conjecture

I am participating in the Blogging From A-Z Challenge. Each day in April (except the last 4 Sundays), I will post topic themes that begin with the letters of the alphabet, from A-Z. Today's letter is C.


I'm the kind of person who has hair-brained theories on just about everything. Since lately my life has been a series of aging milestones (getting gray hair, losing my memory, tinkling when I jump or sneeze or cough, etc.), I've let go of some of those more wild conjectures & realized that some things just happen as we get older.

Without going into detail, let's just say that in the last couple of months there has been this one issue plaguing my body. It's nothing serious, just embarrassing & mildly annoying. (Also funny, depending on the crowd of folks you hang around with!) I have explained my particular "situation" to aformentioned friends & even threw out a theory that chocolate and/or cheese could be the culprit. So I scoured the web and once I got through the deadly causes such as various types of cancer & intestinal diseases, I discovered that I might not be too far off the mark.

Apparently lactose intolerance can play a role in the issues I'm experiencing. Since dairy is found in both chocolate & cheese, it falls right in line w/ my hypothesis. I say all of that to say this: I'm going on a dairy-free adventure. For the next 2 weeks (because the internets said to give it 10-14 days to notice a difference), I'm going to avoid the lovely dairy that I so enjoy in hopes of curbing this thing that I do not enjoy as much. (Okay, so we all know I'm talking about gas. Let's just trade a couple fart jokes & move on, alright?!)

If I notice a difference, I'm going to have to find ways to modify my diet permanently. There will be times when I can't or don't want to avoid the tasty treats containing milk products, but I'm hoping it won't be too torturous to give most of it up. Even if it's difficult, if this is truly the root of my problem, I'm just gonna have to bite the bullet. I don't want to get too ahead of myself, though. First I need to make it through the next 2 weeks & see if dairy is really the root of my evil.

Thankfully, there is at least one thing I love more than chocolate & cheese.

17 comments:

  1. oh, yeah, stick to the wine. If I had to give my my butter cookies and cheeses, it would be wine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, it's gonna be rough giving up butter & cheese & chocolate & even cookies & milk! Wine is going to be my new best friend! *lol*

      Delete
  2. Cheers! Everything goes with wine...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chocolate and cheese free? *sigh*

    And I'm not much of a wine drinker, so that'd just leave me with chips and salsa. Eh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my friends is vegan so she has given me a couple pointers on where to find dairy-free chocolate chips & cheese, so I might survive these next two weeks after all!

      Delete
  4. I can survive without cheese as I can't eat it anyway - but chocolate? No way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's gonna be tough for me, too. Chocolate & I have shared a lot of happy memories!! *lol*

      Delete
  5. I can't think of a better meal. Chocolate, cheese and wash it down with a glass of wine. tee hee.
    dreamweaver

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow I have to restrain myself from the chocolate & cheese part, but bring on the wine!! :)

      Delete
  6. I don't do wine. I think I would be sunk!!

    Kathy
    http://gigglingtruckerswife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like fancy wine, I drink arbor mist! *lol*

      Delete
  7. Good luck for the next two weeks. My friend gave up added sugar for two weeks and loved it so much she kept going. Chocolate would be very tough to abstain from, and I add cheese to just about everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm gonna need all the good luck I can get! :) I'm hoping I'll see a change after 2 weeks. If not, I'm gonna eat a whole block of cheese. Hehehe!

      Delete
  8. soy milk (by Silk), lactose-free yogurt are good options, and yep, forget the cheese... good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We picked up some dark chocolate flavored almond milk tonight b/c my hubby wanted to try it. (He's a milk-aholic so I was pretty shocked that he wanted to try something dairy free!!) I like soy milk in my chai latte, but I've never had it by itself. I do want to try it, though. There are also these things called Tofuti Cuties. They're like ice cream sandwiches but they're made w/ tofu instead of ice cream. That may sound gross, but they are DELICIOUS!

      Delete
  9. Gosh I would have just taken some beano...beano before and there'll be no gas after!

    But that's just me. No cheese and my life is pretty much over. When I cook, it's a question of how much cheese goes in this.
    Good luck, but seriously, try the Beano!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about going that route, but I hate taking any kind of pills, except vitamins. I don't even take tylenol unless I have a debilitating headache. I'm weird that way.

      Delete

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com | Header Image by Freepik