Wednesday, September 19, 2012

I'm too old for this shit

As I mentioned in my last post, we made a 2+ hour commute to visit/bbq with my Dad & the fam and check out a concert by one of our favorite bands, Rehab.  The show was on Sunday night, which should have been a red flag that sleep deprivation was in the near future.  However, I blatantly ignored all signs of aging and decided to act like a silly little 21 year old.  But let me start from the beginning.

We woke up early Sunday morning, got the van packed, took showers, etc.  For a day-trip, we still had to prepare b/c I'll be damned if I'm leaving town w/out a hair straightener, a camera, & a spare hoody.  We ate a quick bite of breakfast while we waited for the hubs' besty, Mike, and his girlfriend Sara to arrive.  Once they showed up, we all piled in the van and hit the road.  As soon as we got to Springfield, we picked up Mike's daughter and discovered the overpriced world of Trader Joes.  I've heard so much about this store & yes, the whole foods thing is important and wonderful and bla, bla, bla.  But who the hell can afford to pay over $5 for less than a pound of tater salad?!  Not me!  Everything in Trader Joes was priced somewhere between "Outrageous" and "WTF?!".  So we jumped ship and got what we needed at Albertson's.

We got to my Dad's after 1 in the afternoon, which left us with less than 6 hours to hang out.  Now, that may seem like a long time, but it's really not.  For one thing, I only see my Dad a couple times a year, so we usually have a lot of catching up to do.  Also, Dad & Annmarie threw a bbq w/ a bunch of friends/family, which meant lots of folks to visit with.  It seemed like we just arrived & suddenly it was time to leave for the concert. I barely said 2 sentences to many folks, and really didn't have too many conversations w/ the folks who did manage to get some of my undivided attention.  Needless to say, I wasn't ready to leave & I kind of felt like an asshole for not being able to really talk to everyone.
Me with Doyle Williams & Demun Jones of Rehab

Once we arrived at the Whiskey River Ranch for the concert, the night seemed to slow down a lot.  We chatted w/ some of the members of Rehab & Moonshine Bandits, got autographs, and took pictures.   Then we grabbed a table and waited what seemed like forever for the show to start.  Once it began, we realized just how worth the wait it was.  The first performer was this guy called BioBeat, who stunned the whole crowd with his amazing beatboxing skills.  I posted a video on my youtube account, but it really doesn't do him justice.  His story is pretty cool, too.  He was discovered in Idaho by Rehab, who were so impressed with his performance, they asked him to open for them on the rest of the tour.  So he literally hopped on the bus & has been their opening act ever since.  After BioBeat came the Moonshine Bandits.  They've toured with Rehab before, but this was our first chance to see them perform.  We found out later that one of the members of the group was sick that night, but you never would have known.  Their set was high-energy & amazing.  Rehab finally took the stage sometime after 10:30 & played until about midnight.  This was our 3rd time seeing Rehab live and as always, they put on a hell of a show.   Our plan was to pick Trin up from my Dad's house & hit the road as soon as the show was over.  But since we missed seeing Danny Boone (Rehab) and Tex (Moonshine Bandits), we waited around for about 45 minutes so we could get pics & autographs from them.
Justin, me, Sara & Mike waiting for the show to start

For those who don't know, I work at 4:30am.  Which means I am awake by 3:30am every weekday. I'm used to functioning on between 4-6 hours of sleep per night b/c there is no way for me to get to bed any earlier than that.  Hitting the freeway after 1am meant that we pulled into the driveway of our house at 3:30am on the dot!  I was smart enough to catch a little sleep on the drive home, but had no time to sleep otherwise.  I literally unloaded the van, took a shower, and went to work.  I managed to be mostly-functional for 4 hours of my shift, but finally succumbed to the tiredness & went home for a 2 hour nap.  After my nap, I worked the remainder of my shift & struggled through the typical evening routine.  I think I finally crawled into bed around 9pm on Monday night.

Here it is Wednesday and I still don't feel like I've recovered from Sunday night.  It is moments like this when I realize I'm too old for this shit.  I need a reasonable amount of sleep and road tripping around the state to see concerts is not something I can handle on a work-night.  Don't get me wrong, it was well worth it.  I always love spending time w/ my Dad & the fam, the show was awesome, the bands were friendly as ever, and we had a lot of fun all around.  I just hope the next time Rehab comes through our neck of the woods, they play on a Friday or Saturday night so us old fogies can get our rest before work.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Template by | Header Image by Freepik